Saturday, January 24, 2009

Our Commander-in-freak / SXSW 2009 band names

I don't normally like embedded YouTube links on my blog, but this one is irresistible:


I know Obama promised he was going to bring more transparency to the White House but I didn't think it would include such, ah, personal details.

I've been looking at the list of bands supposedly coming to SXSW this year.  It's always a good chance to read hundreds of names that have no meaning to me because I have no idea who 99% of them are, and in most cases the name of the band tells you nothing about them.  For instance, what does awesomely-named DANANANANAYKROYD sound like?  And does giving your band the shittiest name possible -- The Devil Wears Prada -- reflect self-detached irony or just a lack of creativity?  

Certain readers will be pleased to note a relative lack of woodland-themed names (Eagle Winged Palace and Hot Panda being among the exceptions), but at least I know exactly what to expect from those bands.  Listen to their Myspace songs and you will not be surprised to find out that Hot Panda is somewhere between Fleet Foxes and Animal Collective.  Midnight Peacocks, on the other hand, are somewhat different, as I was expecting a mix of Midnite Vultures-era Beck and Christian singer-songwriter Charlie Peacock.  Sabbath Crow is also, surprisingly, not a metal band that does Sheryl Crow covers.  

Speaking of bad animal names, TacocaT so far has the highest quality-of-music to quality-of-name ratio of the bands I've checked out from that list, and they definitely have the best song about a urinary tract infection.

3 comments:

  1. i had a dream last night that your blog became really famous and that i found it on a list of "top blogs for 2009" and you were like #3. i was really impressed. so.. yeah, good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dananananaykroyd is really pretty good! i have to agree with QC that nature has overridden then "ind(ie)ustry". i'm going to name my next band "foxtrot animal rabbit tree" - an acrostic for "fart".

    ReplyDelete
  3. There really is no physical bond like that brought on by fisting....

    I much prefer animal names in bands than bands named after places they're not from: Architecture in Helsinki (Australia), A Sunny Day in Glasgow (Philly), Beirut (NY), Of Montreal (Athens, GA), What Made Milwaukee Famous (Austin...I know, it's a movie), and so on.

    ReplyDelete