Saturday, January 10, 2009

Design tips from Kanye West

I recently stumbled upon Kanye West's blog. He actually seems like a pretty normal person. The tone is that of a 16-year-old girl's livejournal. He mostly writes about how his albums are selling, posts remixes and songs from other musicians (including stuff like Hot Chip and Peter, Bjorn, and John),* and links to products he likes (and even The Onion sometimes).
One of this recurrent features, apparently, is posting pictures (he takes?) of hot women, often scantily clad, always with the caption "WHERE ARE YOU YEEZY???" You would think this was just a lark for him, but apparently he takes it very seriously (link is not safe for work):



I LOVE BLOGGING, DUH!!! BUT ONE OF THE THINGS I LOVE THE MOST IS DOING THE "WHERE ARE YOU YEEZY'S" (LITERALLY..... JUST KIDDING... SORT OF!! HAHAAAHAAA!!!) SERIOUSLY THOUGH! I ACTUALLY DON'T KNOW MOST OF THE GIRLS I POST.... BUT THERE IS A METHOD TO THE MADNESS, SOME PEACE TO THE PERVERSION. THIS POST GIVES ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO BE CREATIVE. I .. MEANING ME... MEANING (IN THIRD PERSON LIKE I'M CRAZY) KANYE WEST...I FIRST CHOOSE THE, WHAT I LIKE TO CALL COVER PHOTO.... I KNOW YOU MIGHT NOT BELIEVE THIS BUT I LOOK FOR SOMETHING NOT TO TRASHY AND ICONIC. EVERYTHING I DO IS ABOUT CREATING MEMORABLE ICONIC IMAGERY. OBVIOUSLY I DON'T THINK SHOT'S FROM THE BACK ARE TRASHY DEPENDING ON THE SPECIFIC POSE. I'M BASICALLY RETARDED WITH PHOTO SHOP SO I FEEL SO ACCOMPLISHED WHEN I ERASE A LOGO OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT OFF OF A PHOTO.... THEN I OBVIOUSLY USE COMIC LIFE TO PUT THE "WHERE ARE YOU YEEZY" NEXT TO THE GIRL... I TRY TO KEEP THE ARM ON THE SPEECH BUBBLE PRETTY STRAIGHT AND SMALL... IT FEELS MORE "DESIGN" TO ME. THE COMPOSITION IS MAD IMPORTANT AND SOME OF THESE HAVE A MAGIC TO THEM... THE COMBO OF, FIRST OF ALL, HOW BEAUTIFUL AND PHOTOGENIC THE GIRL IS THEN HER POSE THEN HOW SHE RELATES TO HER ENVIRONMENT.. IS SHE ON A BEACH? IS SHE ON A ROCK? IS SHE IN BED? IS IT AN ALL BLACK BACKGROUND? IS IT AN ALL WHITE ONE? HOW MUCH NEGATIVE SPACE IS THERE MEANING THE EMPTY SPACE IN A PHOTO.... WHICH IS DOPE SOMETIMES CAUSE THEY LOOK LIKE THEY'RE FLOATING LIKE MUSIC VIDEO'S WITH WHITE SIKES (BACKGROUNDS).
So, yeah. The composition is mad important. Remember that when placing speech bubbles on pictures of nearly-naked women.


* One of Kanye's readers comments: "I thought BJORN was a swan lady..."

2 comments:

  1. i'm currently watching Kanye's performance on SNL and it blows. holy god, it blows. he must have been sick or dying. but the likely cause of the suck is Kanye is overproduced and no live show sounds as good as the album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i heard really good things about some kanye live show last year i think? i don't remember. i'd still rather see bjorn the swan lady.

    ReplyDelete