Thursday, January 15, 2009

On of Montreal

As you can see from some of my recent links, I've gotten into* of Montreal lately.  I've been exposed to their music quite a bit in the past but never liked them.  Baby bought "Skeletal Lamping" (their newest album) shortly after it came out, and I thought it was good but not really memorable.  But right now I'm listening to "Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer," and it's wonderful.**  I expected of Montreal to be really pretentious for a variety of reasons (gratuitous mythological references, frontman wearing makeup, band name starting with a preposition), but I'm finding the lyrics charming and even sincere.  Kudos to of Montreal for making music that doesn't suck.  As C. Montgomery Burns says: "I don't know much about art, but I know what I hate -- and I don't hate this."

Enjoy this picture of of Montreal's setlist for their recent Austin show, courtesy of my acquaintances at austintownhall.com.  Note the annotations, such as "centaur fruit orgy" and "voltron."

* Bonus prepositions for the fans: aboard, aside, atop, onto

** As usual, I'm two years behind, but at least I'm not in a sad '90s cul-de-sac with regards to indie rock.

1 comment:

  1. I prefer to think of it less like a cul-de-sac and more like a roundabout. A roundabout from which I can never get left. "Hey kids, There's Belle and Sebastian. There's Jesus and the Mary Chain."

    ReplyDelete