Sunday, December 14, 2008

Songs I get stuck in my head a lot, v. 1

I hope this list doesn't reveal anything terribly embarrassing about my personality (not to mention my vulgar, pedestrian taste in music).  I should note right away that I don't endorse or even like all of these songs, there's just something about them that makes them get stuck in my head a lot.

- Beautiful Girls by Sean Kingston
They only want to do you dirt. I just watched this video for the first time -- I didn't realize the 50's were such a great time to be black!

- Rich Girl by Hall and Oates
It's a bitch, girl.

- Fantasy by Earth, Wind, and Fire
I'm tempted to quote this entire song because the lyrics are so awesome, but I'm just going to do the first verse:

Every man has a place, in his heart there's a space
And the world can't erase his fantasies
Take a ride in the sky, on the skip fantasy (pronounced "fanta-sigh!")
All your dreams will come true, right away!

How does it get any better than that?  All your dreams coming true, right away?!

Sorry.  I got excited.
The whole song.  It's just so good.

- Holla Back Girl by Gwen Stefani
This my shit.  Specifically the line "this shit is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s" gets stuck in my head at breakfast every day.


There's a special category for anything sampled by Girl Talk.  Girl Talk is really bad for people like me who get a lot of songs stuck in their heads.  It becomes possible to fixate on a single line from a song you've never heard the rest of, the line looping in your head as you try to go to sleep, rolling, twisting the sheets, pissing off your wife as the couplet "my bitch a choosy lover / never fucks without a rubber" repeats endlessly.  Two of the many GT-sampled songs I get stuck in my head on a weekly or daily basis are:

- that Journey song that goes "whoa-oh-oh-oh, whoa-oh-oh-oh" over a raging guitar solo.
 
- Lil Mama's Lip Gloss
It's poppin', as well as "cool."

No comments:

Post a Comment