Saturday, December 20, 2008

On the spelling of Beyoncé

As I intend to write about Beyoncé Knowles frequently, I would like to get something out of the way. It appears the preferred spelling of her name includes an accent mark on the final e. That's fine with me, and it seems reasonable since people would invariably pronounce her name /BEE-yonss/. But wouldn't the accent as written put the stress on the last syllable of her name and make it /bee-yon-SAY/? But really it's /bee-YON-say/, so wouldn't the proper diacritical marks be like this: Beyóncè? I'm not going to start writing her name that way because it would be even douchier than writing about the spelling of her name already has been -- but also because it took me five minutes to find out how to type that grave accent just now.



Anyway, I didn't want you to think I hadn't considered this alternate spelling. Does anybody else think it's kind of funny that she shares a last name with Harry Knowles (of movie insider site Ain't It Cool News -- see photo above)? I wonder if they're related.

3 comments:

  1. They are both Texans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they both have knives through their heads! ... ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clearly Beyoncé's accent mark was added 100% for looks, to show it is "exotic" or "unique" with absolutely no idea whatsoever what accent marks are actually USED FOR. You were correct before, it should be pronounced Bee-yon-SAY not Bee-YON-say according to the accent mark.

    ReplyDelete