Friday, January 23, 2009

The lamb is in the cage

Today, as with the rest of this week, I have been working feverishly to keep up.  Why is it then that it is in my few moments of rest -- and also when I happen to be watching something incredibly embarassing on YouTube -- that important people always walk into my office?

A coworker stopped in (while I was watching this again -- what the hell is wrong with me?*) to ask some questions and mentioned to Mustafa, who has a Ph.D. in anthropology, that she's going into a graduate anthropology program.  He says (as he does to almost everything) "Ohhhhh wow.  Oh wow, wow, wow" and goes on to tell her how exciting that is.  I guess it's good that Mustafa doesn't regret spending years and years, studying late, missing his kids growing up, doing the research and fieldwork necessary to get his doctorate so that he could go on to become a profoundly incompetent IT guy, but I have to say that if I was that coworker I would be running -- RUNNING -- away from anthropology after that endorsement.

In unrelated news, my Older Daughter With No Pseudonym is in a phase where she makes up lots of songs and demands that Baby and I listen to them.  The fact that Older Daughter's eyes well up with tears everytime she sings makes the experience even more charming.  Here is a song she made up last night: "The lamb is in the cage, the lamb is in the cage / The farmer, the farmer, the farmer / The farmer is looking for her / Where is the lamb, where is the lamb, where is the lamb / The farmer, the farmer, the farmer" etc.  These songs really don't ever end.  She'll get distracted after a few minutes usually but then she'll pick it up again when she thinks of it, usually with revised lyrics.

* In my defense, I was pumped up after reading this story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment